Monday, May 24, 2010

Nutritional Distortion

Today I witnessed two different nutritional expressions, equally ridiculous, from products on the opposite side of the food spectrum. The first was during one of my random yet regular crack-like cravings for the deceivingly delicious McDonalds chicken McNugget.  I'm well aware of the negative nutritional value, despite the addictively scrumptious taste, but I couldn't help but chuckle as I noticed the poor attempt to claim value in, not nutrition, but the next best thing. I guess they'll take what they can get.


Later in the day, this billboard caught my eye. I had always figured the 8oz "serving" was a mere scam to make reported amounts of calories, fat and sodium seem lower, but this one doesn't make sense. Why not just say "zero calories" period?  Unless of course 0 + 0 > 0.  Is it?

2 comments:

Sherry Chung said...

check out The End of Overeating by david kessler.. it'll explain so much about why mcdonalds would choose to packaged their nuggets like that

Unknown said...

as for the zero calories per serving...it's cus they can round down to 0 but if they were to actually count the calories for the entire package, it wouldn't round down to zero. insane what subtle advertising can do.