Monday, September 27, 2010

Parking at Work

When I posted regarding the Bikes in Buildings law on May 20th, I was still in the process of pushing for bike parking at 200 Park Ave, where I work.


Now, over 4 months later, we finally have it. Not surprisingly, DOB took their good ol' time signing off their inspection of the room, which had to be repeated when they found a newly constructed ramp, courtesy of the building owner Tishman Speyer, who was actually attempting to be helpful.  Apparently that ramp wasn't on the building plans, and therefor, either the drawings would have to be refiled (a very timely process, because that also involves the DOB), or the ramp removed. It was cheaper to remove the ramp. Then after another month of radio silence, I called the DOT (who had been giving me updates all along), and discovered that the room was indeed approved and ready and that instructions were supposed to have been posted in my building lobby, which of course they weren't. After I gave Tishman Speyer a reminder, they sent over their instructions.  I guess I was delusional thinking I would ever have access to a 24/7 bike storage room (other than my apartment).


Then they asked for a head count from us for parking room passes. I recruited 20 from our office (close to 10%). 2 weeks later we got the passes.


I promise you I am not a terrorist, even though I have a curious resemblance to one. Aren't those bikes in the background cute? Actually, the bikes in the background of my card were twice the amount that was in the bike room today.


Ok, fine, it was raining. But that never stopped me...

----------

And a day later..we're getting there...


No comments: